Physiological Benefits of Prenatal Meditation
Meditation is becoming a widely-accepted tool to enhance health, reduce stress, and bring a more positive overall experience to life. Calm Birth meditation applies these benefits where they may be needed the most: during pregnancy and childbirth.
Some of the physiological effects of meditation include:
- Lowered adrenaline and cortisol levels. These are the stress hormones that repress immune system function; having a balanced base level of stress hormones allows the body to have an empowered immune system.
- Elevated levels of the hormones DHEA and melatonin. Among other life-enhancing properties, DHEA elevates mood and increases vitality. Melatonin is a sleep and relaxation aide. Both of these hormones assist in optimal immune system functioning. DHEA and melatonin are among the most researched of all major human hormones. They have been proven effective in the treatment of cancer, heart disease, AIDS, lupus and other disease conditions. Melatonin is the most potent and versatile antioxidant known.
- Increased bone marrow T cell (lymphocyte) and interleukin-2 production to optimize immune system effectiveness.
- Elevated serotonin levels for natural calm beneficial to pregnancy, birth, and health in general
- Elevated endorphin levels assist in pain management, decrease in fear, and feelings of joy
- Many people birth in hospitals or birth centers encounter unfamiliar bacteria and possible intervention. Empowering the immune system through meditation is a profound way to help prevent infection and speed healing.
- The stress-reducing benefits of meditation are clearly profound on a physiological level, but having the added bonuses of elevated mood and better sleep can make pregnancy a more enjoyable experience. Imagine being able to relax and marvel at the wonders of pregnancy, sinking into a state of calm and union with your baby. Meditation is a simple but profound method to enhance all aspects of your pregnancy, birth, and life itself.